[X4U] White 2008 Macbook and Lion

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jul 19 05:14:01 PDT 2012

On 19/07/12 09:09, Roy v.d. Westhuizen wrote:
> I am usually an early adopter of system upgrades, but in the case of Lion never installed the system, still running on 10.6.8. I want to upgrade so I can install the latest update to Aperture, but have been advised by a very good Mac "midwife" friend of mine to hold back until I get a new computer, as she has observed many glitches when installing Lion on older machines like mine. I know that my machine is not compatible with M. L.
>
> I run a photographic printing business using a vastly underpowered Macbook, 4G RAM, only 30-40 G hard drive space and cannot afford even a days delay.
>
> Can anyone inform me if it is prudent to install Lion or safer to give it a miss?

To be honest, you are the only one that can judge if Lion is OK for you
or not.

The one thing you must do before upgrading, if you do, is to make a
bookable clone of your 10.6 system, on an external drive. That way, if
anything does go wrong, you can easily then roll back to the system as
it was before the upgrade. You can use CCC or SuperDuper! to make such a
clone.