[X4U] Lion and Partition size

jetlag11 at mac.com jetlag11 at mac.com
Thu May 3 12:25:48 PDT 2012

There used to be a reason to partition the HDD (to display alternate startup partitions) but that's not really valid anymore. The only reason today I can think of, is for a Windows partition - and I'm not sure that's desirable either.

I've found drive partitions to be a big PITA. For example, I've tried to assign folders to dedicated partitions, but either I or the finder keep screwing things up. A single, large patition works best for me.

Regarding your friend's suggestion, Mac OS does drive optimization on the fly.  That's why Disk Utility doesn't include a defragmentation tool - it defragments continuously.

I don't suggest trying to out-think Apple.

John