[X4U] Weird iTunes behavior

Michael Peterson mapeterson42 at gmail.com
Fri May 30 07:47:04 PDT 2014

I've had the behavior for a while that iTunes on my Mac Mini will just stop
doing imports of music.  This is true of both ripping from a CD and file
based (things downloaded from Google Music for example).  What I always
ended up doing was restarting the machine and then it would work for a
while, and then stop working.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

Recently, I noticed that the catalyst seems to be the playing of a song.
 As soon as I push play, from that point going forward, imports no longer
work.  As long as I don't (and up until I) play a song, they do.  Rebooting
seems to clear whatever is that prevents the import.

I've tried tracking down what could be causing this.  I've tried killing
any iTunes processes with no luck.  I've tried watching for processes that
kick in that may cause blocking when a song starts to play with no luck.
 Tried repairing permissions.

Any thoughts?
Songs are saved to an external drive.  Most recent version of Mavericks,
although this back when Mavericks came out was one of the catalysts for me
to update this machine.

It's not painful enough that I've gotten to the point of rebuilding
everything yet, but it is enough of a nuisance, I'd like to at least figure
out a work around other than rebooting.

Thanks for any suggestions!
-Mike