[XDreams] Projectors using Windows

Mark Gibson gibsonm at bigpond.net.au
Wed Nov 15 22:27:44 PST 2006

At 22:01 -0800 15/11/06, Lela Tong wrote:
>Hi Mark,
>
>Thanks for the great explanation.
>
>Sorry for the confusion, the print said "video adapter" w/CompUSA
>price, usd 19.95.  Thanks for the specifics re the Apple Mini-DVI to
>VGA Adapter -- critical info.
>
>I gotta get a new laptop and, I'm looking at the 13 inch MacBook.
>I'm also getting a camcorder and digital camera since my mission is
>to liven up my presentations -- I guess that I need to check if I
>have all the 'special' cables.
>
>Many many moons ago, I had an Apple but then, I did a switch and got
>a Sony (13.3 inch -- at the time, Sony was the closest thing to an
>Apple) since I travel in Asia (and, like a turtle, I must carry
>everything on my back) and often have to go back-and-forth between
>other people's equipment which were typically PC-based.
>
>Also, as u know, PC parts and accessories are readily available.
>
>Thus, I'm really interested in the new OS-Windows version.  The reps
>tell me that it's 'work-in-progress' (hmmm, is there cause for
>worry?) -- there's the bootcamp download and the optional software
>"parallel."
>
>And, anyone's experience on working with a bunch of PC's since it's
>been awhile since I had to do it.  Thus, should I wait a bit longer
>or is it safe to get the Apple now?
>
>Lela

Different Mark, but possibly the same information.

1. Please read the post / email that I sent you on the 6th of this
month outlining connection options.

2. The 13" MacBook does not come with any adapters for external
projectors. You will need to by either:

a. A mini DVI to VGA adapter

or

b. A mini DVI to DVI adapter depending of what you need to hook up
to. If you are unsure, buy both (they are AUD$35 each so I'm guessing
USD$20 or so).

3. The 15" and 17" MacBook Pro's do come with DVI output built in and
DVI to VGA adapter as part of the machine bundle so you don't need to
buy anything extra.

4. As for Windows on Mac. Its not an "OS-Windows". The new Intel chip
allows the machine to run Windows as well as OS X (Windows is not
somehow built into OS X). A bit like a multi format TV that can be
tuned to NTSC or PAL. There are currently two main options. Boot Camp
(currently in beta but will be part of 10.5) or via applications such
as CrossOver or Parallels.

Boot Camp provides the best compatibility and speed but you have to
start the Mac as a Windows machine.

CrossOver or Parallels provides the best convenience as they are
applications (like Word, etc.) that run in OS X - no reboot required
but you can run into performance (slower) and compatibility (graphic
cards, etc.) issues.

Either option requires a full copy of Windows XP to work (i.e. you
have to buy a copy).
--

Regards,

Mark (}-:
+61 (0)4 1927 7198
Skype / AIM / iChat: gibsonm1

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and
stupidity.         --Harlan Ellison