[BTM] Why is iSync so slow...

peter ashworth aaaashy at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Dec 6 05:10:29 PST 2003

On 6 Dec 2003, at 02:08, WNAM wrote:

> It is not only slow, I am also experiencing loss of data after
> syncing. I have been synch'ng my mobile Z600 with my Mac's Address
> book. Many a times I find some names and numbers were deleted in both
> phone and Mac. Very frustrating at times!
i have had this happen, and now go thro a process of emptying my phone
and palm occasionally

but NOT by deleting the items (since that will cause the items to be
deleted from the main database next time you sync)

i have created an empty directory in my address book (called empty)

and every so often i sync my palm or phone to it to clear any conflicts
and then switch back to the All directory for the palm,
  or to my Phone directory (a partial AB because of the phone's smaller
database) for the phone

and now i ALWAYS check the iSync settings for my various pieces of
equip because it also has a very nasty habit of changing those settings
between syncs - since 10.3 i think

i have lost my address book three times this year, and i have only just
noticed it's possible to save a copy of the address book to the
documents folder (it is a 2-3Mb file), see Address Book File
menu/Backup to database - one click!!!!! (if only i had known before),
it has taken all the uncertainty out of syncing - cos i can always
revert with another single click - thank god

ISYNC IS DANGEROUS imo

peter