Is it as simple as I think it is?

Elliott Frank esfrank at cruzio.com
Mon Dec 15 12:42:02 PST 2003

Stopped by the Apple Store on Saturday evening to drool over the 20" iMac,
and saw the Canon i70. This printer **looks** like it may solve my portable
printing problem. The i70 has a USB type 'A' port on the side in addition to
the type 'B' port on the back. Can this type 'A' port take an ordinary USB
Bluetooth dongle or does the printer need a 'print server' Bluetooth dongle
inserted in the type B port? Canon's web site is wonderously silent.

Situation: my wife has a new iBook, DOES NOT like wires and cables, and
wants to be able to print wherever the iBook goes. I've got a Compaq Armada
that I need for my business and would be 'borrowing' the i70 occasionally.
At home, the printer attached to the AirPort works wonderfully.

So.... The following combinations come to mind:

1) I get three 'standard' Bluetooth dongles (Belkin or some such), insert
one in the printer's 'A' slot, and both of us can use the printer.

2) I get the D-Link dongle for the iBook and flash it to become an 'Apple
only', get two more Belkins, and both of us can use the printer.

3) I get a 'print server' dongle (e.g., Ambicom) that plugs into the 'B'
port, two Belkins, and we both can use the printer.

Or 4) one print server, one D-Link, and one (anything) for the Compaq.

I'd love 1) and would be OK with 2). The Ambicom seems to want an external
power supply, which defeats the whole idea ....

Has anyone gone through these scenarios with their credit card and has some
results to report, or is this something that I'd better let rest for six
months or so?