[BTM] Tungsten

Richard McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Sun Jan 5 16:09:48 PST 2003

Martim Weinstein wrote the following wrt a bluetooth/tungsten problem:

> This leads me to think that the uninstall that
> the original CD does is not a full uninstall, or at least some  the
> preferences seem to be left behind.

Not sure if this has been mentioned/posted yet but if you want I can
send/post instructions (in terminal using the power of unix) on how to get a
file listing what an application will install on your drive and where (only
in OS X obviously) if that would help you with the problem solving. Please
note however that it only works if you haven't installed the program on the
system before (i.e. best after a reinstall) as it simply compares files
before/after and creates a file showing the difference...

> Re-installing X is not really an option I'd like to consider. I did
> that recently after a HD crash and only now, after 3 weeks do I have
> the system where I want (like) it. I have a ton of stuff that I REALLY
> dread having to install and configure again (like 6 printers, internet
> and LAN configs for 3 different places, color calibration for 3 of the
> 6 printers etc.) Plus I like a custom look so I've substituted almost
> every icon on the system... thats a pain to do again.

Not trying to preach but if you haven't done so yet you might want to make
provisions to backup your system or at least your user files (i.e.
preferences/icons/bookmarks/etc...) as three weeks of (valuable) time must
be more expensive than a CD burner or external hard drive, no?

> What I'm going to try and do is setup another Tibook and see if the
> result is the same. This might take a few days... I need to convince a
> friend of mine I'm not going to screw up his system! ;-)

Please let us know what came of your further testing, I for one am thinking
hard about a palm and would like to know if your issue would affect me as
well and what the workaround would be. BTW, what did Palm say to the issue?

you also wrote in a later post...

> http://docs.info.apple.com/
> article.html?artnum=107055&SaveKCWindowURL=http%3A%2F%2Fkbase.info.apple
> .com%2Fcgi-
> bin%2FWebObjects%2Fkbase.woa%2Fwa%2FSaveKCToHomePage&searchMode=Assisted
> &kbhost=kbase.info.apple.com&showButton=false&randomValue=100&showSurvey
> =false&sessionID=anonymous|160998318

> Intuitive link, huh? ;-)

Indeed, try sms'ing that to someone quickly on the palm or phone directly :)

Please don't take this as a personal attack but if you put the < and > signs
before and respectively after the link it will not be chopped up in other
peoples email clients regardless of set text length and can be *clicked*
directly...i.e. <http://www.example.com>

Best regards,

Richard