[BTM] Best Bluetooth Phone FOLLOW-UP

Mark O'Brien rmobrien at mac.com
Mon Mar 17 05:03:37 PST 2003

On Monday, March 17, 2003, at 06:42  AM, Joost van de Griek wrote:

> In Europe, any (Sony-)Ericsson Service Center will do it for free, if
> you
> can spare the time to lurk around while they do it (20-30 minutes). Any
> reason why this is a paid service in the US?

It seems Sony Ericsson and other manufacturers somewhat customize the
phones at the US carriers' request, blocking access to some of the
menus, hardwiring GPRS settings, etc. Even repairs/exchanges are
handled through the carrier. It's a paid service because some
entrepreneurs saw there was a market and have access to the equipment
and software. One I know of used to work for Voicestream/T-Mobile.

Mark