[BTM] Adding Bluetooth to a G5 Desktop

marky bigtoot at mac.com
Fri Sep 23 09:22:08 PDT 2005

On Sep 23, 2005, at 16:08, Roger Houghton wrote:

> I just bought a G5 desktop from Apple. As it was a refurb I didn't
> have the option of adding Bluetooth. Could anyone recommend the
> best way of doing so now? Apparently it can be added by an
> Authorised Apple Servicer but I don't have one close by and don't
> know the cost. Will a USB dongle work just as well? Any
> recommendations for one offering Bluetooth 2?

Don't know about BT2 but if you're adding a BT USB dongle make sure
you get a compatible one.  Most of them will work fine even without
drivers (they're in OSX already) BUT you may have limited functionality.

For example AFAIK you can only pair a BT headset with your Mac if you
have a D-Link BT Adaptor, it's the only one Apple support for headset-
pairing.  I discovered this after getting a Belkin BT Adaptor - works
great except for headsets, they're no go.

Note that your Mac may offer to update the firmware on a D-Link
Adaptor and this will improve its performance on Mac but renders it
unusable on Windoze, if you care?