iBook Problems

Eric Schwarz schwarztech at jmug.org
Mon Dec 9 16:05:58 PST 2002

Well, I have two problems that are really annoying me.  First, the
little light around where the AC adapter plugs into my iBook (600MHz)
fails to light up amber when charging.  It works fine (as in it charges
the battery), and has been like this for a few months (Apple's support
blew me off about it), and I've had no troubles, but is this something I
should lose sleep over?

Secondly, I am losing sleep over this - recently (since around
mid-September), every few weeks, my iBook's boot partition (whether it
be the whole drive or 1 partition, depending on how I set it up) gets
corrupted so bad (catalog/b-tree/etc) that I have to format that
partition and start over.  It only seems to happen in Jaguar (10.2.0,
10.2.1, and 10.2.2), but I haven't been using 10.1 in awhile to know.  I
did a low-level/zero all data/clear out everything format with the OS 9
Disk Utility and it came up with no troubles during that, and I ran
various other disk utilities to check for bad blocks, but nothing.  Is
there anything associated with Jaguar or any apps that will cause this
kind of disk corruption, and/or is there anything I could get Apple to
do about it?  The worst this happened was that on Saturday I reloaded
Jaguar from the install CDs (it finished around 2am and I loaded my
various apps back on) - the next night (Sunday) around 10pm I got the
flashing question mark again.  Last night, I did a low-level/zero all
data format (to check and see if something developed), and loaded 10.1.5
this morning.  No troubles yet.

Right now, I'm using 10.1.5 to see if that's going to cause problems...

Thanks,
Eric Schwarz