[P1] iBook Problems

Kim Gammelg å rd kim.gammelgaard at get2net.dk
Mon Dec 9 16:39:37 PST 2002

On 10/12/02 1:05, "Eric Schwarz" <schwarztech at jmug.org> wrote:

> Secondly, I am losing sleep over this - recently (since around
> mid-September), every few weeks, my iBook's boot partition (whether it
> be the whole drive or 1 partition, depending on how I set it up) gets
> corrupted so bad (catalog/b-tree/etc) that I have to format that
> partition and start over.  It only seems to happen in Jaguar (10.2.0,
> 10.2.1, and 10.2.2), but I haven't been using 10.1 in awhile to know.  I
> did a low-level/zero all data/clear out everything format with the OS 9
> Disk Utility and it came up with no troubles during that, and I ran
> various other disk utilities to check for bad blocks, but nothing.  Is
> there anything associated with Jaguar or any apps that will cause this
> kind of disk corruption, and/or is there anything I could get Apple to
> do about it?
That seems very strange. I have the quite contrary experience. 10.2.2 has by
far the most stable file system that I have dealt with. In fact, I have had
a few corruptions on earlier OS's (9, 10.1) on my iBook, but those were
dealt perfectly with by fsck or especially Disk Warrior, but still no
problems at all on my 10.2 machines, where I even do an fsck once in a while
to be sure everything is alright. For that matter, I have not formatted my
hard drive on my iBook since the got it two years ago (I made 3 partitions
on that day back then, though).

You don't spend much time telling about what kind of applications you are
using and you don't say much about how full your drive is. Those two things
could be related to your troubles, but it could also be a hardware error of
course.

To me it seems unrelated to the OS.

Just my 2 cents

Kim