AppleCare

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Tue Dec 10 11:04:39 PST 2002

> From: "Robert Nicholson" <robert at elastica.com>
>
> I own an 800 mhz Tibook and I'm still in my first year of warranty but
> I've
> asked about Applecare and I may decide to buy it after May next year
> when my
> initial year runs out.

You have to buy AppleCare BEFORE your initial warranty runs out.

>  However, I do not understand why anybody would buy it
> at time of purchase

Ooh, that's an easy one. Unlimited telephone support. For some people,
that's a big plus if they think they're going to need that beyond the
first 90 days.

> If you lose or break your machine due to misuse
> you cannot transfer the applecare (at least that's what I've been
> told) to a
> new computer.

Why would you break your computer due to misuse?

> Don't ask me why all of that needs replacing but note this was my
> first Mac
> after own three PC laptops which required no previous servicing. It's
> pretty
> scary to think how reliable this Ti is and what things will be like
> out of
> warranty.

Then you really should get AppleCare and not risk losing it because you
waited too long.

For the record, most portables don't need as much work as yours does.
Sounds like you have some inhospitable environment issues and/or you're
subjecting the machine to more abuse than it was designed to take. The
TiBook you refer to is generally considered more fragile than the
iBook. People buy it for power and looks, not ruggedness.

A good case would probably help a lot if you haven't already invested
in one.

> In my case I'm in Thailand and it looks like the heat here isn't
> compatible
> with Tibooks but it really is ridiculous that a desk queen machine
> like mine
> has required these three major overhauls and will cause me to think
> very
> carefully about future Apple hardware purchases.

I'm in Florida, where the humidity is probably about as bad. I'm not
seeing a problem with my client's TiBooks (I don't own one myself), but
admittedly they spend at least half their time in air conditioning,
which yours may not. Moisture could be an issue, I suppose.

Again, I assure you that most TiBooks do not require major repairs like
yours has over the course of their first year warranty. Scratch and
dent issues, perhaps, but not major repair issues.

> That said, I'm grateful that Apple repairs what it does under warranty
> though. I remember when you paid $300 a year extra to Toshiba to get
> T-Screen coverage.

Okay, everybody who bitches about the cost of AppleCare can shut up
RIGHT NOW. Imagine if it cost you $300 PER YEAR.

> Also, somebody at my local Apple shop said that Applecare is
> recognised in
> all parts of the world so it's no longer necessary to own Applecare
> from the
> region you have the problem which again compared to world wide
> coverage from
> IBM and Toshiba is also pretty lame.

Not sure what you're trying to say here. If you have an AppleCare
provider in Thailand (and there should be some), then you're covered.
You don't have to have bought the AppleCare in Thailand, you could have
bought it anywhere. How is this "lame" compared to IBM and Toshiba, who
as far as I can tell offer the exact same thing?

_Chas_
Come to  ... The CHASbah!
http://thechasbah.blogspot.com

**Go see BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE. It may change your life.**