[P1] Semi OT : access iDisk through FTP

Tom R. no spam tr5374 at csc.albany.edu
Tue Dec 10 12:57:39 PST 2002

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Peter Nacken wrote:
 . . .
> Which makes me wonder WHY oh WHY !!!  .. Why does apple have an "improve
> your iDisk" utility .. Why are they not integrating it into the whole thing
 . . .

The short answer is:  The Software Development Cycle.

It takes time to develop software.  During that time,
needs may change and the market progresses.  You do
what you judiciously can with available people and
money resources; and keep a list of desirable
improvements and keep open for feedback on what you
do release.  So--hypothetically--instead of hiring
another software engineer and bringing that extra
bit of perfection to iDisk, or taking an engineer
off eg iChat and putting him/her on iDisk, Apple
allocated its resources as it did, got a quite
good product into the market and has diligently
continued to enhance or improve it.

Given how Apple has defined the market for so long,
and done as well as it has despite _huge_ antagonistic
pressures from the wannabe other companies including
a well-known monopoly, things don't seem too bad, at
least not worth several "!!!" ;-) .  IMHO