[P1] OT: Your worst Macs..!

patrick fisher patrick.m.fisher at wamu.net
Thu Dec 19 11:40:50 PST 2002

My best Mac is my iBook 14" Combo 700 which I bought a month ago.

1st Mac: Mac SE: logic board failed after day 95. Warantees then were 90 days. I had
to call Apple over and over and over to get them to repair the machine. I told them
I just spent $2000 on a machine and they want me to pay $500 to repair it. I had to
drive 100 miles to drop it off and have it get fixed, then pick it up again a couple
of weeks later. I upgraded it with an accelorator and a video card to run a 19"
Radius monitor. I still have it.

2nd Mac: Performa 575: Burned out pixel on CRT. I took it back and got my money
back. Got another later on. Still working great at the daycare.

3rd Mac: Performa 5xxx. Nice, but ran like a dog. Road Apple. It was okay. Sold it.

4th "Mac": Umax C600. Great machine. Still have it. Never gave me trouble. Cheap.
Ugly.

5th Mac: Powerbook G3 Wallstreet. Screen crapped out after a year and I didn't use
it a lot. I have recently read that the design of the hinges causes the (now
wearing) hinges to wear out the video strips that run from the monitor to the CPU.
Some have tried to form a class-action lawsuit, but no-go. You can't get the strips
from Apple or anywhere. You have to pay Apple $400 to fix it. I'm giving the G3 to
the daycare my kids go to and they are going to use it as a desktop machine.

6th Mac: iMac 333. Worked great! Just sold it, though. Screen size too small. My
daughters wanted to sell it and keep my 7th machine:

7th Mac: "iBeige" desktop 233. Great machine. Got it cheap off of eBay. Just
upgraded the video ram and just put in an 80 gig WD hard drive. Will put a
CD-RW/DVD-R and a G4 card in it. Eventually.

6th Mac. The iBook. An incredible machine. Although charger doesn't show amber when
charging, anymore. Only went to amber the first time I used it. I heard there is a
fix.

I've also had a couple of 15" Apple multi-scans crap out on me with the "stuck" gun
and the screens turned to a fixed-green state.

I have a number of other Macs and clones, but they were not my primary machines.
Someone gave them to me and I haven't done much with them. Like the 6 Powermac
6100's I got last month.