[P1] truth in advertising...still OT

Gary Adams gdadams1 at cox.net
Thu Dec 19 18:47:53 PST 2002

Trent Lott never voted to deny blacks the right to vote in 1983. That's
the kind of absurd statement that provokes these kinds of imbroglios.
Lott voted against the extension of the Voting Rights Act of 1982 and
he voted against a national MLK holiday in 1983.

The Voting Rights Act of 1965, which was amended several times, the
last being in 1983, mandated, among other things, removal of poll
taxes, literacy tests (which might have precluded the 2000 Florida
fiasco) and mandated federal registration of voters in some
jurisdictions.

Is Lott a racist? I don't know. I do know that Strom Thurmond and Trent
Lott were Democrats who "became" Republicans. Thurmond was a DixieCrat,
not a DixieCan, and he went back to the Democrat Party after his failed
bid in 1948. Lott was originally a Democrat, too, who "became" a
Republican.  Personally, I think Lott had states' rights foremost in
his mind, and he likely didn't consider the racist implications that
have been drawn.

;-)
Gary