[P1] truth in advertising... very [OT]

Robert Crawford robertc at clancrawford.us
Fri Dec 20 07:04:17 PST 2002

On Friday, December 20, 2002, at 05:24 , Dale Critchley wrote:

> on the fateful day of 12/19/02 3:07 AM, in a dazzling display of
> literary
> acumen, Charles Martin at chasm at mac.com altered the course of history by
> digitally penning the words:
>
>> If there really is a "liberal media," why is it that conservative talk
>> shows succeed and liberal talk shows fail?
>>
>> No, please don't answer that (at least, not here). So far we've managed
>> to stay largely on-topic.
>
> I don't understand this one. No liberal political talk shows? Oprah,
> Rosie,
> etc.... I don't watch any of them any more, but if you don't think
> they're
> political, watch them sometime. They're just less overt than Rush, but
> no
> less political

In the rural area where I live we have a number of liberal political
talk shows and no conservative ones.  How this happened in a
conservative area (Siskiyou County, CA) is rather interesting.  The
local AM station covered the entire county and carried Rush, Oliver
North, Michael Regan, and others of a similar vein.  This station also
covered local news and (very important in an Ag. region) weather.

So what happened to this popular station that covered a county that is
larger then the state of Connecticut?  It was really quite simple, a
group of rich leftists bought it.  It now runs all liberal talk shows
and no local news or weather (because they get the feed form out of
state).  What is more, because they now have no income for the station
(and really no listeners)
they have cut the power down so much that instead if covering the entire
county but instead only covers a small town of about 5,000.  They are
still on the air and this interferes with anyone else trying to get a
permit to put up a competing station.

It is important to understand that this station went in quite a few
years ago.  When it went in there was quite a bit more money in the
local economy.  At this point there is no real way to put in a radio
station and expect to be able to pay the bills even if it were possible
to get a permit.  The people that the station was purchased from did try
to put up another station but could not afford to, and never expected to
have to, fight the army of lawyers that the purchasing group fronted.
The permits to put in a new station were continually blocked in courts
several states away (Seattle, WA).

So yes, there are liberal political talk shows.  They run unopposed  in
largely conservative markets.  But, it seems that they cannot run on
stations that are funded by advertising money.  And they are generally
not listened to.