OT: truth in advertising

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Fri Dec 20 14:04:10 PST 2002

> From: Dale Critchley <dale at infinityltd.org>
>
> I don't understand this one. No liberal political talk shows? Oprah,
> Rosie,
> etc.... I don't watch any of them any more, but if you don't think
> they're
> political, watch them sometime. They're just less overt than Rush, but
> no
> less political.

I don't watch them either. Looking at their topics, I don't see
anything even remotely related to political issues. Or is working on
one's self-esteem, weight loss and family dysfunction considered
"liberal" these days?

Having said that I'm sure that on the occasions when they DO talk
politics, the host(s) are probably more left-leaning than, say, a
farmer in Iowa.

I wouldn't call that "liberal," of if you do then just about EVERYBODY
is "liberal" on some issue or another. Despite the Republican voting
trend of late, time after time it has been shown that Americans are
really more pragmatic than strictly conservative (or strictly liberal),
more motivated by self-interest than party ideology.

Nobody wants to pay higher taxes or see the gov't waste our money -- in
that sense we're *all* Republicans. But neither does anyone with half a
brain in their head want to see the gov't shut down the health clinics
or close down the Post Office and Amtrak and PBS because they don't
seem to be able to make money, or allow citizens to buy small nuclear
devices if they want to. And a majority of us (contrary to Sen. Lott's
perception) don't want to see women's right to abortion taken away,
don't want to see blacks denied the right to vote, don't want to see
ALL immigration to the US closed off. So are we "liberal" if we broadly
agree with the above precepts?

Nonsense. Politicians work diligently to DIVIDE this country based on a
handful of hot-button issues when the fact of the matter is that most
of us would broadly agree on the majority of ACTUAL issues facing this
country. That's why we keep switching back and forth between Democrat
and Republican leadership -- depending on what's foremost on our minds,
we find ourselves agreeing more with one party than other (on a FEW
issues). It's the FACT that the two parties are basically
representative of the duality of American society -- driven by
pragmatism -- that keeps us moving back and forth between them. That's
why Bush's "unite not divide" is such a lame joke -- his party, just
like the Democratic party, RELIES on people being divided. That's why
voter turnout in this country is so low -- only the fanatics and
ideologues bother to vote anymore, because the rest of us think that it
doesn't make a difference (another message the two parties' squabbling
helps to drive home).

Believe it or not, I actually do get along just fine with a wide
variety of people with a wide variety of political views -- I count
among my friends Roman Catholic Republicans, Middle-Class Rush Fans,
Anti-War Anarchist Protesters and Atheist Homosexual Non-Voters among
others. We may disagree on this issue or that issue -- or even a lot of
issues -- but all of my friends are warm, humanitarian people who can
be quite "liberal" when it comes to personal, direct kindness or
compassion and quite "conservative" when it comes to being loathe to
raise taxes, suspicious of what our gov't is doing with the money, or
supportive of the military and anything they do, right or wrong.
Despite the labels they (may) put on themselves, I just see them as
people.

It's when people become ideologues and fanatics* that I find myself
moving away from them -- regardless of which end of the political
spectrum they inhabit. A left-wing wacko and a right-wing wacko are
both just wackos, as I often say. :)

*of course it's perfectly OK to be a *Macintosh* ideologue or fanatic!
:)

Okay, I did it again. Completely OT. I can't help it -- you people keep
providing some fascinating material for discussion. I've said my peace
on this subject, I'll wait until either the thread dies or it goes back
on-topic before commenting on it again.

_Chas_
Come to  ... The CHASbah!
http://thechasbah.blogspot.com

**Go see BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE. It may change your life.**