[P1] Clamshell vs. IceBook

david davidwb at spymac.com
Mon Nov 25 18:22:42 PST 2002

On 11/25/02 8:51 PM, "Robert R. Daniel" <rrdaniel2 at mac.com> wrote:

> For traveling, I am certain the clamshell is a better choice.
> It's much sturdier and will stand up to the stress of being
> jammed into an overstuffed backpack or carry-on bag.  I have
> handled the IceBook and now have a TiBook at work.  I would be
> very reluctant to travel with either of them.  I certainly
> would not schlep them between office and home when I commute
> by bicycle.  With my clamshell, on the other hand, I have no
> hesitation:  I pack it and go.

I certainly agree that the iBook is more sturdy than the TiBook. I borrowed
one for a conference not long after they came out because I needed a video
out. I liked using it - my motel was really chilly and it kept me warm - but
I was glad to return it. The darn thing scared me it felt so flimsy.

But I cannot agree that the dual USB iBook feels less sturdy than the
clamshell one. I schlepped my dual USB on my trip to Canada this summer and
never gave a second thought to throwing it into the boat or jumping around
on the rocks with it in my backpack.

david

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by frost.

davidwb at spymac.com