[P1] digital cameras?

lvt at mac.com lvt at mac.com
Thu Nov 28 08:56:45 PST 2002

> Hello,
> this is iBook related only in the sense that my daughter will be
> hooking the camera up to her 500 mhz iceBook...:)
> we're looking for a digital camera for my daughter for Christmas and I
> was wanting know
> if anybody here on this list had any suggestions?
>
> I've been looking at the 2.0 to 3.2 megapixel models made by Sony and
> Canon.
> pros? cons?
>
> I would also like one that uses these memory cards:
> Smart Media, Compact Flash Type I and II, and Sony's Memory Sticks.
> (the reason being, our HP printer accepts these cards for direct
> printing)
>
> thanks for any help.
>
> Bill

I recently bought 2 Canon A2000 2 megapixels for $179 for student use.  They
are not fancy and don't have optical zoom, but the pics are very good - the
extreme close ups are better than my 3.1 Oly.  Canons take compact flash,
which is why I chose this camera over a similar Olympus which use smart
media.  Although I have no problem with sm and like the thinner profile, cf
is hardier for student use and is a few bucks cheaper generally.  SM though
has the gold contacts exposed - not for newbies who will thumb-print or
scratch them.  The sony's use memory sticks, which do not come as big as cf
and are more expensive.  I've heard the inexpensive Fugi's are getting quite
good, I think they take sm.

Linda
SE Michigan