[P1] digital cameras?

david davidwb at spymac.com
Thu Nov 28 09:34:27 PST 2002

On 11/28/02 11:05 AM, "Bill Lockhart" <blockhart1 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Hello,
> this is iBook related only in the sense that my daughter will be
> hooking the camera up to her 500 mhz iceBook...:)
> we're looking for a digital camera for my daughter for Christmas and I
> was wanting know
> if anybody here on this list had any suggestions?
>
> I've been looking at the 2.0 to 3.2 megapixel models made by Sony and
> Canon.
> pros? cons?
>
> I would also like one that uses these memory cards:
> Smart Media, Compact Flash Type I and II, and Sony's Memory Sticks.
> (the reason being, our HP printer accepts these cards for direct
> printing)

The best advice I can give is to get out and look at them before you buy,
think hard about how you want to use it, and decide if you are going to be a
point and shoot user or will learn to use all the features.

Points to consider:
1) view finder vs LCD screen only - having only an LCD screen is very
inconvenient in bright light situations. I prefer having a view finder for
outdoor day use. Also having a view finder that is marked so you can get an
idea of what you're seeing at the various zoom settings is especially nice.

2) removable vs non-removable batteries - in constant use, expect to get
45-60 minutes out of the battery. If you are going to be shooting out in the
wilds or doing a ballgame, this isn't going to be enough. Having removable
batteries is a real plus.

3) if you want zoom, pay attention to optical zoom. Digital zoom means
doubling the pixel size leading to blocking pictures.

4) look at the extras provided and think hard about whether they actually
have any value to you.

All big name cameras have memory cards - SD, CF, or Sony memory sticks.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by frost.

davidwb at spymac.com