[P1] iBook and PCMCIA Cards

Alric J. Lam Alric.J.Lam at Dartmouth.EDU
Thu Aug 7 18:12:50 PDT 2003

I'm not sure, but I think that even if you found a card that did fit in the iBook, you would need drivers that most likely OSX would not read.

One idea might be to find an external network adapter that plugs into your usb or ethernet port.  This wouldn't be the most portable solution, but its better than nothing.....

Hopefully someone here has a better idea though.

Al

--- You wrote:
Hello to all!

I'm a student at a Windows-dominated campus, which has decided to put in an 802.11a wireless network.  (For those list readers who aren't familiar with 802.11a, it is a 54mbps wireless standard which operates on a different frequency from the more common 802.11b (AirPort) and 802.11g (AirPort Extreme) standards.)  I'm interested in accessing the network, but I'm being badly hampered by the iBook's (500Mhz, Dual USB) lack of a PCMCIA slot.

Given this, my questions in order are:

1.)  Has anyone set up an 802.11a connection from an iBook?  If so, how?

2.)  Can anyone confirm that the AirPort card slot inside a iBook is a standard PCMCIA slot?  Aside from the issue of form factor, will the slot connect to a standard PCMCIA card?

3.)  Does anyone know of a way to hook up a PCMCIA card or (desperation moment here) a PCI card to an iBook?  Granted, carrying around an external set of connecters is probably a step back  from carrying around a good 30 foot Ethernet cable, but I'll ask anyway.
--- end of quote ---