[P1] Extended Warranty?

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Mon Aug 11 06:18:25 PDT 2003

On 8/11/03 15:07, "Park" <Parkblue at gmx.net> wrote:

> I've been a Powerbook user since the 100; since the 280 I had failures of
> various sorts with all of them, so I definitely want to buy insurance. What
> alternatives do I have? Any recommendations?

I've been buying AppleCare contracts since my first iMac, about 4 years ago.
On two iMacs and one iBook, I have had a total of 4 service calls / repairs.
Three for the iMacs, and one for the iBook to change the HD which was too
noisy. Since I live in the mountains, several hours from any repair center,
this was really worth it to me - Apple sent a repairman on a 3-hour drive
(each way) for each of the iMacs, and I didn't lose any working time, since
the problems were not mortal. As for the iBook, they cover express shipping
to and from their repair center, which was about 10 days.

I live in France; the way Apple works may be different in other countries.
But given the drop in quality of basic components since the iMac, I really
find it worthwhile. Also, I find it helps resell used Macs, since I can sell
them with a guarantee.

Kirk

     Author of: Unix for Mac OS X: Learning the Command Line (Dec. 2003)
  Co-author of: Macworld Mac Upgrade and Repair Bible
  Co-author of: Microsoft Office v. X Inside Out
 . . . . . . .  kirk at mcelhearn.com | http://www.mcelhearn.com  . . . . . .
 . .  Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France  . .