damn windows player!

don hinkle donhinkle at att.net
Mon Aug 11 06:22:44 PDT 2003

Ian, I finally downloaded the Mplayer and applied it to the Wallace &
Grommit minimovies...and it played...something. What I saw was pixilated
screensaver abstracts. No sound and no real pictures. I trashed the
movies and gave up for this round. Thanks for your suggestion, tho, but
I wanted to give you the followthrough.
-don

Ian Sidle wrote:

> Sorry - I haven't been too good at keeping up with the lists as of late.
>
> > I downloaded 6 new Wallace & Grommit free minimovies from, I thinkk,
> > Atom films.
> > They are .asf files. They show icons.
> > HOWEVER, when I click on one, I get Windows Media Player up, but it
> > says
> > "No Connection". Is it ONLY good for playing stuff as it rolls off the
> > Internet? Can't play a stable HD-located file?
> Yeah. The mac version of windows media player only plays streams (and
> compatible with few versions of them at that) not local files/streams.
>
> If you still want to play it one word - mplayer.
> (http://mplayerosx.sourceforge.net/). Virtually Guaranteed to play all
> .avi and .asf movie files in existence (thanks to open-source!). It
> definitely has better support then the M$ player, and don't even bother
> with quicktime for these files.
>
> The skinny is - .avi and .asf are windows media formats, and Microsoft
> has pretty much no support for them on the mac.

—donald henry hinkle

Author of OKLAHOMA, a brief story about a state, ISBN 0-7660-5138-2, and
RONALD REAGAN, a biography of the 40th President of the USA, ISBN
0-7660-5112-9, both published in 2003 by Enslow.