[P1] old/new Airport

e.mkeene e.mkeene at wap.org
Wed Aug 13 21:44:18 PDT 2003

> I have the old graphite airport bought almost two years ago.  One my
> TiBook, I have the original card, but I would assume on the iBook I'm
> currently using, bought mid-Dec. '02. I might have the newer one.  I'm
> totally confused at this point.  Can I use any other form of Airport
> software on it that will work with both systems?

Pat, the ibook will never be able to use the airport extreme card, only
the original card that is currently selling for $79. Your particulat
TiBook also requires the original airport card. When it comes to the
base station you have more flexibility. The Graphite that you have now,
will give minimal encryption, and the shortest distance, apx 150 feet
if no metal gets in the way. Your TiBook will have a shorter range than
the ibook regardless of which base station is used.

If you want to add better encryption and a bit more of a hardware
firewall, you could upgrade to the Snow base station. If you have a
network capable printer and want it to be networked so each computer
can access and print directly from each computer, you could get the
airport extreme base station with the optional antenna and modem. This
way, you could access the net by cable, dial up if the cable goes down,
share the printer, and add more range to the tibook.

The reason you can use any of the base stations but not any of the
cards is one of age. The hardware in the ibook and tibook is limited to
the original cards, pin outs, number of pins, etc. The newer base
stations are backward compatible. So they are like a 6th grade teacher
who would be competent to teach first grade but the first graders could
not work at 6th grade level just because they have a sixth grade
teacher. The newer base stations simply dial down to the slower speed
capacity of the older cards.
Hope that helps to clear things up for you.