When a computer will not fully boot...

Pat D. Stephens patdart at cox-internet.com
Sat Aug 16 12:52:08 PDT 2003

I troubleshoot for a friend on his iMac and unknown to me, he had the
logic board replaced a few months ago.  Since then it's done okay, but
now today, it won't fully boot.  I went over and tried to boot from his
Norton disk and it will only go about a fourth of the way up and then
it freezes.  I've never seen this before and imagine it's way beyond my
capacity to fix and he'll have to return it to the shop for a hardware
fix, but do you all have any thoughts about what I can do first?  I
have an external drive running a different operating system that I
could use diagnostically perhaps (it's 9.1, and he's running 8.6), but
if it won't boot past a certain point even from his CD Norton, would
that be any good?

We are about an hour from the shop that works on Macs, so if there is
anything I can do, I'd like to try.

TIA,

Pat