Retrospect Express vs. Backup

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Wed Aug 20 11:17:03 PDT 2003

> From: Brian Olesky <brian4 at sbcglobal.net>
>
> My spiffy new 120 gig external HD is currently crawling toward my
> house on
> some delivery truck as I write this. So, to prepare for the luxury of
> never
> having to sit down and burn 10 CD's a month to back up my data ever
> again,
> I'm wondering...
>
> Can I just use Backup, which I already have as a .mac member, to make
> a full
> copy of everything, and then update the things I've changed every few
> days?
>
> Or is Retrospect Express worth the extra 50 bucks or so because it does
> something better?

To the best of my knowledge, Backup does not (yet) back up to anything
OTHER than:
1. A .Mac iDisk (very useful for offsite storage of sensitive data --
up to 1GB of space is available!)
2. CD or DVD format

But for backups to hard drives, I have two suggestions: my friends at
Econ Technologies (http://www.econtechnologies.com) make a great tool
called ChronoSync that does what you are looking for beautifully, with
many more options than Retrospect offers, for only $20. There is a free
demo available.

There is also Carbon Copy Cloner, which excels at making complete
BOOTABLE backups of your hard drive. Remember to send Mike his $5 or
whatever it is he asks -- he's a real asset to the Mac community!

_Chas_

Q: How many Microsoft programmers does it take to write a great piece
of software?

A: More!