OT: Used Mac Prices

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Wed Aug 20 11:23:39 PDT 2003

> From: Chris Beaumont <chris at ncafe.com>
>
> I bought a 450 Mhz DP G4 machine around three years ago for $1200, and
> although I have gotten my use out of it, its now too slow to run most
> modern apps and OSX adequately..

Woah. Something is wrong with your machine.

A *DUAL* 450 G4 should be PLENTY adequate to run ANY current apps. I'm
writing this on an iBook 600MHz G3 and Jaguar works *beautifully* and
more than fast enough for my needs.

Perhaps you need more RAM, or perhaps you are using some high-end app
(video processing, high-end 3D games) that can't take advantage of your
machine properly, but even my iMac G3/700 at home (w/512MB of RAM and a
new 120GB 7200RPM drive) just flies along with no complaints.

> Unless you have some strong reason to run OS9 natively the new machines
> are a better bet..

That's a very good point, the older G4s can boot OS 9, so if you're
still dependent on it for some reason that Classic can't cover (can't
think of any offhand, but I'm sure a few still exist), the dual G4 450
is a great idea. When they get cheap enough, I plan to pick one up just
for Altivec-enhanced stuff (till I get my G5, that is).

_Chas_

Sign up for the only political party that springs for a kegger.
http://www.abbaparty.com