[P1] DC Inverter/Regulator WAS: Revive "new" dead battery (?)

Fred Stevens K2FRD K2FRD at stny.rr.com
Thu Aug 21 16:50:31 PDT 2003

I like to listen to music while I'm travelling and will be doing it
(travelling and listening) a lot with iTunes on my iBook 900 in the
near future. But, I'm also a ham radio operator (I think there's a
couple others on the list). AC/DC inverters generate a LOT of
spurious RF (broadband radio frequency waves, read: noise) which
severely interfere with radio signals, particularly SSB, CW, RTTY,
and PSK31. Most people on the list don't have to worry about these
modes, but if the inverter is left plugged in (doesn't have to be
attached to the iPod or iBook or whatever), it will generate
background "noise", likely severe if you're listening to an AM
station. FM is less affected or not at all - waveform reasons. In
general, inverters are poorly filtered, if at all, but I don't know
the effect of the spurious RF on a computer itself; I have used a
couple inverters which completely drowned out the computer's audio.
However, an inverter designed for computer use probably can be
considered suitable for a computer's audio, but it still will
generate RF to outside applicances.

I opted to spring the 80 bucks for the DC adaptor (actually a DC
voltage regulator)  for the above reason. Also, I'll be hitting the
road permanently as a nomad/itinerant/vagrant/RVer (I think of myself
as a Happy Wanderer) late this year and will be in many locations
(like Labrador) with no commercial power. My electrical requirements
will be met by a bank of deep-cycle marine batteries to power my
radios, computers, TNCs, Rigblaster, and other electronics.

Fred

--
73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD
http://home.stny.rr.com/k2frd/K2FRD.htm