[P1] My Xmas stupid question

Scott Warren sw at shelton.org
Mon Dec 8 13:52:33 PST 2003

The hard drive will be slower to access so the idea would be not to
play the songs from the external hard drive while trying to access
anything else.  There is a huge speed difference between 2.0 and 1.x
USB:
   480 Mbits/s—USB 2.0
     12 Mbits/s—USB 1.1

12 mbits is still quick enough for mp3 play and some streaming video
clips.

The other thing to watch out for will be if you get an external drive,
it will need power.  Most of the bus powered drives work in 2.0 mode,
some won't work well in 1.x.

HERE IS A COOL OTHER OPTION:
There is one now that uses a 10/100 Ethernet connection in addition to
USB.  This means with a home network hub (so all computers can share
this device) and standard network cables (or just a cross over cable),
you have a 160gb storage solution with a 10/100 interface.  While I
have no experience with this exact drive, here is an example of what I
mean:
		http://www.outpost.com/product/3767416/
		http://www.compusa.com/products/
product_info.asp?&ref=cj&pfp=cj&product_code=305318