[P1] Reviving a dead clamshell battery

Brian Pearce bpearce at cloud9.net
Tue Dec 23 13:22:46 PST 2003

> The recent postings on clamshell batteries prompted me to pull out one
> of the extras I had in storage. I plugged it in & sure enough, the
> iBook will only work when plugged in. The machine doesn't recognize
> recognize that there is a battery in the machine. I have read of
> others who have had success resurrecting the batteries with a VST
> charger. I was wondering if anyone knows of any alternate methods I
> can attempt. I would like to avoid purchasing a charger that may or
> may not work, if possible.

The only other solution you could try is leaving the iBook in sleep
mode for a few days, so the battery drains slowly; I did this
inadvertantly, and an older battery went from less than a half-hour
charge to nearly 45 minutes.

If you're hesitant to buy the charger, you could always send your
battery to me, and I'd be willing to give it a try with my VST charger.
But if this is a two or three year old battery, it's probably getting
towards the end of its' useful life, and the VST charger won't be of
much help. (It wasn't for me.)

BRIAN/bpearce at cloud9.net