Airport Problems

Tom Burke tom_burke at mac.com
Sat Dec 27 03:04:57 PST 2003

On Saturday, December 27, 2003, at 08:00  am, iBook List wrote:

> Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 05:51:01 -0500
> From: ShardAerithes at aol.com
> Subject: Re: [P1] Airport Problems
>
> I plugged in both airport and ethernet. When I turned off airport
> through network prefs I got 192.168.0.102 for getifaddr en0
>
> then I got failed for getifaddr en1
>
> then I turned airport on I got getifaddr en0 192.168.0.102
> getifaddr en1 got 192.168.0.101
>
> if I unplug the ethernet cord I get  getifaddr en0 failure
> getifaddr en1 192.168.0.1
>
> if I look at my airport card it says
>
> 003065276055 is my airport ID
>
> which matches the mac address that was given in the router config.
>
> Maybe the router is faulty? Perhaps I should exchange it for another
> one? I mean...I can't think of why I'd be getting an IP and not being
> able to browse the net. Thanks everyone who has responded so far and
> everyone who will respond to this message.

OK, this is beginning to look useful. This looks as if the Airport is
basically working - you would appear to be getting an ip address for it
via DHCP, which strongly suggests that you've got some connectivity.

Next test - disable the on-board ethernet, and confirm that you've got
an ip adress for the WiFi card - 'ipconfig getifaddr en1'. Assuming you
have, the next step is a 'ping' command or two - 'ping [router ip
address]' (eg 'ping 192.168.0.100' or whatever your router ip address
is) would be the first one. If this works, then try something like
'ping www.microsoft.com'. This is out of the local network, so it's a
more complex test.

If the first ping works but the second doesn't then the issue may be to
do with address resolution. In Network Preferences for the Location
you're using, look at the configuration for Airport: what have you got
set for 'DNS server'? My recommendation would be to either set the ip
address of your ISP's name server here if you know it, or its FQDN (eg,
'ns1.myisp.com'), or indeed just the IP address of your router. Compare
the DNS server for Airport settings with the equivalent settings for
Built-in Ethernet - it wouldn't hurt to ensure that they match by
changing the Airport settings to match the Built-in Ethernet settings.
If you've made any change here, Apply it & ping the external
destination again. Hopefully this might resolve the problem.

If neither ping works - hmm, have to think about that!

Tom Burke