[P1] Problems with combo drive in my iBook

Mark Kippert maclists at kippert.com
Tue Dec 30 09:34:10 PST 2003

J Patrick Draine on 12/29/03 6:11 PM wrote:

> Is your HD rather full? Have you repaired permissions, and perhaps run
> DiskWarrior to see if there's any software issues that might be the
> problem?
>
> If you've taken such measures, as Jack wrote, go ahead and be insistent
> with AppleCare.

Got plenty of space and I've run the usual repairs and utilities.

Not only have I documented it but I took it to the local Apple Store about a
month ago when it refused to work for 6 days. The tech at the Genius Bar put
it through all the required tests and confirmed that it was non-functional
and couldn't be revived via the methods he employed. This included booting
from a FireWire drive with it's own OS and utilities installed.

So he said I could have them (the Apple Store) return it to Apple or I could
call and have it picked up. I told him I needed to back it up so I would
call.

So I drive back to the office, open the lid and what should happen??? The
audio CD I had in the drive SPINS UP and it has been working ever since.

I called the tech and asked if I could still send it in. He told me that if
it were functioning when the iBook arrived they would not replace it.

"Even though you've documented that it wasn't working?!?!" I asked.

"I'm afraid so." he explained.

So it's been about a month, it hasn't failed to work since, but now it is
running slow when ripping music to iTunes. This is the only problem I'm
experiencing so far, I'll have to test it with an install CD etc.

-Mark