[P1] Has anyone experienced excess fan use after updating to 10.3.2 or Battery update 1.1 ?

Larry Kollar kollar at alltel.net
Tue Dec 30 16:49:39 PST 2003

Geoffrey Rosenberg wrote:

>  Any ideas about your fan use - I never heard a fan ever until my logic
> board failed and needed replacement, ...
> Now I am just finding the fan come on and stay on without
> letup unless I reboot. The unit is ice cold, too...
>
> I think this all started after I added the battery update 1.1 or else
> the
> 10.3.1 update, but am not certain.

I've noticed it too. In my case, rebooting also makes it stop for a
while.
I'm running 10.2.8 with the battery update. I'm not sure that it might
be
a static issue; one time (before I found our old humidifier) I got a
static
zap off the iBook & the fan came on immediately. Ironically, I suspect
that Jack Rodgers & other folks in South Florida probably don't much
of that -- there's plenty of humidity to keep the static down.

Dan Hinkle asked:

> How can you (I mean "I", really) tell if and when my iBook fan is
> running?

It's pretty well unmistakable when you hear it. It sounds slightly like
the CD drive spinning, but louder. When it comes on and stays on,
you can feel it pushing air out the vent in the hinge. I can get the fan
to come on momentarily by doing something silly like asking iMovie
to render dozens of transitions at the same time. :-)

--
Larry Kollar    k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
"The hardest part of all this is the part that requires thinking."