[P1] website creation programs

Michael Flournoy meflournoy at attbi.com
Sun Feb 2 14:37:53 PST 2003

Appleworks does work fine for making a basic page. The biggest problem
though is if you need to re-edit the page. With Appleworks you do not
work with the real html but rather a cwk file that has to be exported
as html. This quickly gets tedious if you need to tweak some of the
formatting or if the page needs regular updating. I use AW for a single
page sometimes but not for a whole site.

  I tried a couple of Html editors but my poor little brain just can't
keep all the tags and sequences straight. Composer lets you design the
page in ( nearly ) wysiwig and easily switch to html to tweak it. I
looked at a lot of programs and either they were too raw for a beginner
( bbedit, Web Designer...) or too expensive ( GoLive ) or out of date (
Pagemill ) or were frustrating ( AW ) or too restricting ( Apples
Homepage and the other web based stuff ).
Composer lets me get the job done to suit me and I don't feel I am
learning bad habits. Time will tell on that last one.
         Mike