[P1] Logging in as root

lbdesigns at earthlink.net lbdesigns at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 2 14:59:00 PST 2003

On Sunday, February 2, 2003, at 01:29  PM, Meg St. Clair wrote:

> Now, my question:
> what bad things am I going to make happen? How bad could it be? Could
> I do
> something that a reinstall won't fix? I'm really not trying to be flip.

It's not just the bad things that you might make happen by deleting the
wrong files or exploring different settings. You could unknowingly
cause a security problem. If you run apps/services as root, that could
cause unexpected changes to configuration that could cause problems for
your normal admin or other user accounts. If you have an always-on
internet connection, this could be especially risky.

The biggest danger could come from the freedom to delete important
files that might not look important -- this is a particular risk to
long-time Mac users who are accustomed to "pruning" their System Folder
of unneeded files. Logging in as root to solve specific problems that
are not easily or quickly resolved using another method, doing only
what's necessary and what you know is the right thing to do, and then
logging out is not as likely to cause serious problems as logging in as
root to do general troubleshooting that doesn't require superuser
privileges, particularly when that troubleshooting involves internet
access.

It is, of course, your computer and you can do what you want to with
it. :o)