[P1] how do I back up for a re-install?

Guy McMickle fierose8608 at fuse.net
Mon Feb 3 19:59:30 PST 2003

> Before you conclude you need to reinstall the OS, log in as root or
> create a
> new user account and log in to the new account. If you logged in as
> root
> don¹t do any configuring or install any new software. But if there is a
> particular program that causes trouble, go ahead and run it. If the
> problem
> involves going online or printing, I¹d say go ahead and creating a new
> user
> account and do some basic configuring - set up the printer, configure
> your
> internet settings, etc. You are likely to find that in this virgin
> account
> (or the root account) that your system is no longer flaky. If that is
> the
> case then probably it is a preferences issue and killing off the
> offending
> preference will solve the problem.
>
> Figuring out which is the offending pref can be a pain in the neck.
> When I
> can¹t figure it out in 10 minutes or so I just move my data folders to
> the
> newly created account and accept that I¹ll have to reregister a few
> applications. (Most applications place their serial information in the
> preferences files so switching to the new account will require some
> reserialization.)
>
> david

David,

The main reason I was thinking a re-install was in order was due to
system crashes.  The problem seems to be when logging out.  It doesn't
always happen, and i can't seem to isolate the cause to a certain
program.  What happens is when I log out the finder and all other apps
quit, then a screen pops up with a picture of the power button and
tells me I need to restart my computer.  Ever heard of this problem
before?  Thanks!

-Guy