[P1] website creation programs

George Slusher gslusher at rio.com
Tue Feb 4 07:28:26 PST 2003

>   BTW, when I searched around the internet and asked people for a
>website program I never heard Composer mentioned. I already had the
>program I needed in Mozilla and didn't even know it. Sometimes I think
>the OpenSource guys should try packaging and selling their products.
>They do it with Linux Distros, why not programs also? Buy a copy of
>Mozilla/Composer for $50 and get a how-to book and 60 days e-mail help.
>I would have done it. Frontpage is popular not because it's so good but
>because it's in the store and marketed at an accessible price.
>            Mike

Composer is in Netscape, which is free (you may be able to get it on a CD
for $10 or so). While Netscape 7.01 is a bit buggy and bloated, it often
works a bit better than Mozilla (e.g., crashes less frequently, though
that is relative...Netscape's not all that stable), at least in OS 9. The
Mozilla group has said that they will no longer produce an OS 9 version.
OTOH, Netscape farkles a lot of good stuff on OS 9--CopyPaste, for
example, only partially works. Also, it appears that they cannot figure
out how to support the latest "cutting edge technology," e.g., scroll
wheels. The scroll wheels on my Microsoft trackball and Kensington mouse
and trackball do not work in Netscape 7.01. I had hoped that this
"feature," which showed up in 7.0, would be fixed in 7.01, but it wasn't.
At least they fixed the feature where it would zoom through the bookmark
list from top to bottom without being able to be stopped. If one had a
bookmark list longer than could be shown on the screen, that could mean
that parts of it were inaccessible.

George Slusher/Eugene, OR
gslusher at rio.com