[P1] OT: LCD vs. CRT

good-dog at northshore.net good-dog at northshore.net
Thu Feb 6 04:04:55 PST 2003

On Thursday, February 6, 2003, at 03:02 AM, Charles Martin wrote:

>> From: good-dog at northshore.net
>>
>> Where I work we use PC's mostly (the art department has the macs, but
>> even there, the head guy says stuff like "We ain't moving to OS X for
>> long time. Too much trouble and it's not stable."
>
> You tell him I said that if he thinks OS X is "unstable," he's NUTS.
>
> You might also want to inform him that it's not the year 2000 anymore,
> since that's apparently where he thinks he is.
>
> As for "too much trouble," hell yes it's too much trouble ... too much
> trouble for his LAZY ASS to go and actually do the WORK involved to
> learn it and implement it, that is.
>
> I think your art dept head guy is practicing to become a Microsoftian
> IT person for the sake of job security, if you get my drift.

Chas, you crack me up.  It's so true.  He's thinking of the original OS
X, probably, when it was first released or was in Beta.  He's a great
guy with obsolete information.  Is it that with Quark being so behind
in going to OS X, this is his hang up?  Quark is their mainstay.

By they way, the Trainer at work "loves" Microsoft and there products,
and practically came in her pants when she was telling us how we're
moving to even MORE MS products.  I sent her links to your website with
the hysterical and educational articles about MS.  I asked her to
comment about your assertions and observations.  She's never gotten
back to me.  Too funny.

> Since you are sensitive to screen flicker, if you can't reduce the
> problem through resetting the video, you need to inform your superiors
> *immediately* that you require an LCD to continue to do their job.
> They will find that the cost of an LCD is a lot cheaper than having
> your insurance pay for eye surgery.
>
> Incidentally, PC screens are *notoriously* worse than Mac CRTs
> regarding flicker, mainly because few PC IT directors have the good
> sense to buy decent monitors (there's that "cheap" mentality at work
> again). Windows doesn't help by being so damned ugly, either.

Since there may be a "cheap" factor going on here, does this affect the
quality of LCD I might get?  Or are LCD's pretty much a good bet all
around?  If I need to request a certain brand, let me know if anyone
has a suggestion.  You can CC me at gooddogcomics at mac.com since I can
check that from work.  I'd prefer to get the ball rolling on this right
away.

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

Mark