OT: LCD vs. CRT

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Thu Feb 6 01:02:58 PST 2003

> From: good-dog at northshore.net
>
> Where I work we use PC's mostly (the art department has the macs, but
> even there, the head guy says stuff like "We ain't moving to OS X for a
> long time. Too much trouble and it's not stable."

You tell him I said that if he thinks OS X is "unstable," he's NUTS.

You might also want to inform him that it's not the year 2000 anymore,
since that's apparently where he thinks he is.

As for "too much trouble," hell yes it's too much trouble ... too much
trouble for his LAZY ASS to go and actually do the WORK involved to
learn it and implement it, that is.

I think your art dept head guy is practicing to become a Microsoftian
IT person for the sake of job security, if you get my drift.

> Lately I've been noticing my eyes feel not so good after looking at the
> CRT screen all day (prior to this job, which I started in July, I
> didn't look at a computer all day).  At home I use my ibook with it's
> LCD screen, and the feelings in my eyes are not the same as when I look
> at the CRT types.

> Does anyone know what the effects of one screen are versus the other?

Well sure. LCDs are twice as bright, twice as sharp and *don't flicker.*

CRTs do.

That's why your eyes hurt after staring at one all day.

The effect can be minimised on CRTs by cranking up the refresh rate. If
your video card will support it, try putting the screen on a refresh
rate higher than 75Hz and see if that doesn't help a lot.

Since you are sensitive to screen flicker, if you can't reduce the
problem through resetting the video, you need to inform your superiors
*immediately* that you require an LCD to continue to do their job. They
will find that the cost of an LCD is a lot cheaper than having your
insurance pay for eye surgery.

Incidentally, PC screens are *notoriously* worse than Mac CRTs
regarding flicker, mainly because few PC IT directors have the good
sense to buy decent monitors (there's that "cheap" mentality at work
again). Windows doesn't help by being so damned ugly, either.

> Are there any resources online where I can
> read up on this?

Google up "CRT eye damage" and prepare for a depressing read.

_Chas_
Come to  ... The CHASbah!
http://thechasbah.blogspot.com
http://filmmoi.blogspot.com

"Best Documentary EVER," Assoc. of Documentary Filmmakers:
http://www.bowlingforcolumbine.com