website creation programs

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Thu Feb 6 00:53:27 PST 2003

> From: David Linker <dtlinker at u.washington.edu>
>

> Has anyone had experience with DreamWeaver?

Oooh, lots of people I should think. After all, it *was* a very popular
song in the late 70s ...

;)

Okay, enough horsing around. I tried using it once. I'll preface this
by saying I'm not a fan of Macromedia's style of interface design.

Overall, it seems like an excellent, though complicated, page designed
aimed at the high end. It reminds me of Microsoft Word -- able to do
impressive things, but so complex that hardly anyone can master it, and
beginners who just want to write a damn letter/one page site are
overwhelmed.

That said, it's powerful and visual and offers features GoLive doesn't
(also has vastly better "backend" integration). I couldn't get the hang
of it, and consequently gave up ever becoming a *real* web designer ...

... until CSS, XHTML and XML came along, and now I'm beginning to see a
glimmer of hope ...

_Chas_
"We don't want to be like Windows. We want to do everything better. We
are intent on creating the greatest computers and the best computing
experience in the world. And we are the only ones who can say that with
a straight face." -- Greg Joswiak, Apple VP of hardware product
marketing