[P1] Clamshells, icebooks, etc...

KathyMac! Mac4Music at MusiCareOnline.org
Sun Feb 23 19:25:51 PST 2003

iBook List2/23/03 8:05 PMibook at lists.themacintoshguy.com

> I have a Lime one that I bought on eBay.
> Good news: I was able to get AppleCare. Bad news: the owner/seller
> didn't tell me that it had a cluster of dead pixels (maybe two or
> three?). I only notice them when viewing a dvd.

I bought mine on eBay as well. As I said before, I paid a lot more for the
color - $1100. But I was lucky because the woman I bought it from kept it
pristine. It came packed in the original Apple box, all manuals in the
cellophane wrapping, all cords with the original twistie ties! It had an
airport card pre-installed and the piece that was taken out was in the box.
The ram had been maxed out and she gave me a brand new Kensington bag with
the tags still on it! I swear it all came like it was factory packed.

The one thing that stinks about these clamshells is the flaw in the handles.
They all crack for no apparent reason. I have clear packing tape around mine
( you can't really see it) and it helps to strengthen it from cracking
further.

> I've walked by folks with the iceBook and was struck by the halo-like
> beauty of them. I originally thought of them as bland. There IS a beauty
> in their simplicity and they are so much more beautiful than the Compaq
> whities.

Anything is more beautiful than Compaq! Yes, I suppose the iceBooks have
their own beauty and fan clubs. They seemed so cheap and plastic looking to
me when I first saw them but I haven't really looked at them close in a long
time.

Kathy