[P1] Airport Set up Question

Brian Pearce bpearce at cloud9.net
Sun Feb 23 20:57:26 PST 2003

>> My set up:  Verizon DSL Modem to Hub to Airport (iMac also hooked to
>> Hub).
>> My iBook (OS 9.0.4) sees the Airport but I can't get the internet.
>> I can't get either the Internet or Airport Assistance to work.
>> Internet asks for a "subnet mask" and a "router address" and I don't
>> know either.
>
> You have to get that information from your DSL provider, which I
> suppose is Verizon in your case.
>
> Your internet provider must give you all the fields of information you
> see in the Network systems preferences:

Huh?! I have only a vague recollection about setting up an AirPort Base
Station with DSL (on both occasions, it turned out I was just outside
of the allowable distance), but I don't remember it having been as
complex as you describe. Those values should be automatically assigned
if you connect using DHCP. (I had a set-up similar to this one on both
occasions before going with a Cable Modem.)

You'll also want the document on designing AirPort Networks for OS 9 at
<http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/
Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/Networking-
Communications/AirPort/Designing_AirPort_Networks.pdf>. (It also covers
connecting wired and wireless computers.)

BRIAN/bpearce at cloud9.net