[P1] iBook Hypothetical

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 5 09:16:20 PST 2003

On Sunday, January 5, 2003, at 11:41  AM, <gecina at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Another idea has crossed my mind:  This is a wildly hypothetical
> question —
> With the clamshell iBook, could I plug in a firewire exterior hard
> disk and
> install OSX on it?

Not so wild nor hypothetical. You can boot OS X or OS 9 from an
external firewire disk with the proviso that the software is properly
installed and that your Mac will boot from OS 9. The latter if was
added because it is said that future Macs will not boot from OS 9.
We'll see what happens.

OS X does generate a lot of secondary files that weren't necessary in
OS 9. I don't know if UNIX also does this or this is just Apple trying
to fudge an interface on top of UNIX. OS 9 does not do as good job of
hiding them as OS X does. Ignore them. Don't delete them.

I have installed just OS X on my drive. I have stopped using OS 9 and
all my software is OS X native. If you don't have a lot of legacy OS 9
software that you must use, you can ignore OS 9 and just use OS X.

---
I propose that all elections for public office be advanced two years so
that anyone elected to office can serve a two year jail term for the
crimes they are about to commit and that we will probably find hard to
prove.
Jack Rodgers

Email: jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Web:  www.jackrodgers.com