[P1] iBook Hypothetical

david davidwb at spymac.com
Sun Jan 5 10:21:12 PST 2003

On 1/5/03 11:41 AM, "gecina at earthlink.net" <gecina at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I have a graphite clamshell iBook running OS 9.2.  (also have a 7300 Power Mac
> & [temporarily] an iMac).  I'd like to add to the collection a small 12-inch
> travel book (ice book?) running OSX/Classic.  Except that when I'm running
> Classic on the iMac the System folder scares me.  It looks as though X and
> Classic overlap in the System.  I see a lot of blank documents, etc., which
> probably belong to OSX.  I'm afraid to be as bold as I can be with the
> stand-alone OS9.2 on my iBook.

When you are running OS 9 on a computer that has both OS X and OS 9 on the
same partition, you do see some files lying on the root level of the hard
drive and these do indeed belong to OS X. Don't touch them if you want to
run OS X. It would have been nice had Apple been able to place all of OS X
in a folder but alas, that didn't happen. Just remember this: If the folder
at the root level is labeled Applications (Mac OS 9), Documents, or System
Folder you can do anything you like. Any other folder or file at the root
level should be ignored.

> I sprang for the $20 machine-independent install of OS 9.2 from Apple (Jaguar
> offer).  On an ice book, for example, would it make any sense to use a
> partitioned disk with OS9.2 installed on one half (complete system) and OSX
> installed on the other half (complete system)?  Does such a plan make sense?
> I realize that a good-sized hard disk is necessary for that.

Yes, you can do this but except for your peace of mind (given that you
aren't comfortable with having OS X and OS 9 on the same partition) you gain
nothing. In fact, you potentially lose. Whenever you partition a drive you
create the potential for wasting space. How big do you make the OS 9
partition? How big for the OS X? Make one too small and soon you'll be
forced to place data or applications on the other partition. It can get
ugly. Make one too big and you give it space that could be better used by
the other partition. When all is said and done, remember this. Apple decided
to place both systems on one partition. I think it was a good decision.

> Another idea has crossed my mind:  This is a wildly hypothetical question —
> With the clamshell iBook, could I plug in a firewire exterior hard disk and
> install OSX on it?  That way I could use either system at will without buying
> an iBook with a larger disk and the two systems would be completely separate..
> (Somewhere in the back of this non-technical mind the word "firmware" keeps
> echoing.)  Thanks for your advice

Yes indeed. OS X can be booted from a firewire drive. But...do you intend to
travel with that firewire drive? If not then you'll need to be sure that
every file on your computer is saved to the internal drive and that every
file can be opened by an application you have on that internal drive. Years
ago I had a Duo with a docking station. I thought it was a neat idea until I
took my first business trip. I got to the convention and discovered that my
DTP software wasn't on the Duo. Oops.

What I am telling clients and friends is this: Before making a big hardware
or software purchase make a commitment to OS X. If you are unwilling to make
the commitment at this time then make do with what you have.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by frost.

davidwb at spymac.com