[P1] iBook Hypothetical

Eric B. Richardson lbyron at comcast.net
Mon Jan 6 06:05:36 PST 2003

At 3:01 PM -0500 1/5/03, Charles Martin wrote:
>>  On an ice book, for example, would it make any sense to use a
>>partitioned disk with OS9.2 installed on one half (complete system) and OSX
>>installed on the other half (complete system)?  Does such a plan make sense?
>>I realize that a good-sized hard disk is necessary for that.
>>
>You could, but it's a lot of wasted space IMHO, and you run the risk
>of running out of space in the X partition in the not-too-distant
>future as you find you use OS X more and more and OS 9 less and less.
>
>Unless you have a specific reason for partitioning (like audio/video
>work), it's probably best to just leave it as Apple sets it -- one
>partition for both.

I use a G3 266 desktop, upgraded to a 450MHz G4, as well as my
icebook. In this case, I believe there is some firmware issue that
requires me to have the first partition where OSX resides be 8 GB or
less and then the other partitions don't matter, including if I want
to boot OS 9 off another partition. But that first 8 Gigs is an
essential partition and putting the system and some apps on it eats
up a little less than half. Partitioning becomes essential for us
folk.

But you are right about the icebook, I think.