Needed Programs???????

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Wed Jan 8 01:58:37 PST 2003

> From: Pat D. Stephens <patdart at cox-internet.com>
>
> Speaking of virus protection, if I'm not on .Mac, what is the best
> program to buy for my new iBook and what do I need for maintenance
> purposes?

Probably Virex. I'm getting more distrustful of Symantec products of
late.

Honestly, you really don't NEED a virus program at all. There hasn't
been a destructive *widespread* Mac virus in donkey's years. An ice age
in computer terms.

However, that could change at any time of course. And the peace of mind
has to be worth something. Before I got Virex as part of .Mac, the only
anti-virus I *ever* ran was that Sevendust thing and Disinfectant. They
once stopped a virus -- I think this was about 1995 or so.

One virus in the last 10 years.

>   I've always had a current Norton to run prior to X and I
> assume I'll need something for maintenance on X?

Maintenance for OS X? Actually Jag has a number of useful preventative
measures built right in but I'd highly recommend Disk Warrior. It runs
in OS 9 but that's okay, it's safe for OS X and a new OS X version is,
as they've been saying for months, "right around the corner."

_Chas_
Come to  ... The CHASbah!
http://thechasbah.blogspot.com
Chas' CULTural Calendar (for Orlando):