[P1] iBook & printers connectivity

Paul Bernhardt pbern10 at xmission.com
Wed Jan 8 15:20:38 PST 2003

George Slusher said on 1/8/03 3:51 PM:

>>I have a new iBook 800MHz that I want to be able to connect to my old
>>stylewriter ll printer on occasion. Is it just a simple matter of using
>>a serial-USB connector or is there some other inherent incompatability
>>issue that I need to know about as well ?  What about drivers, my iBook
>>has both OS X and 9.x installed.
>
>As Mark suggested, it would be cheaper in the long run to get an USB
>printer than a USB-to-serial converter. You also should consider that
>cartridges for the StyleWriter II may not be available at some point. The
>performance of the new printer will be far beyond the StyleWriter's.

I disagree completely. In the long run it will be cheaper to continue to
use the Stylewriter II. The printer cartridges are cheaper and last
longer than you find for more current printers.

What a lot of people don't realize is the real cost of printing is in the
cartridges, not the first cost of the printer.

The performance of the new printer will exceed the Stylewriter, but by
how much and for what uses? For instance, I only very rarely would value
the ability to print in color and never want to print pictures. So, why
do I need a color printer at all? (I don't.) My Stylewriter II still
works fine (though occasionally has trouble feeding paper).

I'm in the same boat as the original poster. I have a new iBook and an
old Stylewriter II... how can I make them work together?

Paul