[P1] replacing battery

Mark ibooklist at helpmymac.com
Thu Jan 9 13:29:39 PST 2003

matthew h on 1/9/03 7:39 AM wrote:

> Since my (dual USB) iBook battery stopped holding anything longer than
> a ten minute charge, I went out and bought a new one.  (It's very silly
> to have a laptop that must be plugged into a wall..)  The replacement
> battery instruction say to refer to my original computer instruction
> which are kind of inaccessible at this moment.  This Knowledge Base
> article makes battery replacement sound so... easy...  Is it truly just
> switching them?  No hidden charge times or anything?
>
> Anyone who has experience in this matter care to lend an opinion?
>
> (I'm on digest so feel free to contact me directly)

Which model do you have? My 500/combo has a simple latch on the bottom.
Insert coin (or fingernail), rotate a quarter of a turn, lift out battery,
insert new one. There are also little picture icons showing the lock/unlock
position. It's pretty straight forward.

How old is your iBook?

When I bought my iBook 500/combo (Feb, 02), it was a 6 month old demo and
had never been run on battery, hence the battery had never been properly
broken in. As such I found that it only gave me an hour of time. I called
Apple, they sent me a new one a couple days later.

I had also purchased AppleCare (a must for iBook/PowerBooks) included in
this great extended warranty is the battery. If it drops below 40% of it's
expected capacity (I think it's 40), Apple will replace it.

I recently sent it back to Apple because the screen was flickering and/or
staying dim. Shipped on a Monday afternoon (I had called them the week
before and they sent a box to me via overnight), back on Wednesday morning.

-Mark