[P1] Battery draining memory sticks.

Brian Pearce bpearce at cloud9.net
Fri Jan 17 09:03:08 PST 2003

> When I got my Clamshell in August 2001, I ordered a 256Mb module from
> Crucial.com and that was that. Everything's been fine with it. I was
> not
> aware that the more ram you put into your iBook, the more of a drain
> it is
> on the battery.

> I take it that it must be a significant drain for the manufacturers to
> consider making special 'low power' memory modules. Has anyone here had
> experience with both types of module? And are the 'low power' one's
> that
> much more expensive than the normal DIMMS we use?

I'd be very interested if someone could site some sort of statistics as
to cause and effect on this; I don't doubt that adding additional RAM
causes some slight power drain, but I can't imagine it'd be all that
much in the larger context. The first time I'd *ever* heard of this
phenomenon was on this list (and even then, it seemed the issue grew
out of confusion with OS X's use of *virtual memory,* which would cause
increased disc activity that would have a more substantial effect on
the battery).

BRIAN/bpearce at cloud9.net