[P1] Clean install OS X for new owner?

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 21 04:05:11 PST 2003

On Monday, January 20, 2003, at 09:16  PM, Donald Keenan wrote:

> On Sunday I took my first step toward Jag by installing the 10.2. The
> tech at AppleCare suggested that I just "reinitialize" with the option
> under Disk Utility's "erase" command. I haven't upgraded to 10.2.3
> yet. Does Disk Utility give me both options? I only noticed
> re-initialize and I thought the tech representative said that I could
> only zero all data from an OS 9 cd.

Zeroing the drive means that each bit of info is overwritten by a zero
or a 1, sometimes the process makes several passes writing first a one
and then a zero. The object is to eliminate all traces of your data
from the drive. You can do this on any drive but the start up drive.

In Disk Utility in Jaguar select any drive but the startup drive by
clicking on the upper icon and not the volume names. The option button
will become available. Click on it and the checkbox for zeroing the
drive will now be available.

Admittedly I have not zeroed any drive using X but I do believe this
will work.

I have zeroed drives using 9 and it does take a long time but I had
sold the Macs and had another to use so the length of time was not much
of a factor to me.

You would want to zero the drive when you sell it if you have data that
you don't want resurrected or if you are giving a floppy to Congress...
  If you buy a used drive you would probably want to do the same to
eliminate nasty stuff and any incriminating evidence that might be on
the drive and land you in jail.

---
I noticed while listening to the Capital Gang on CNN rant on pro and
con about UM's 20 points for Blacks that not one of the CG on CNN is
Black.
Jack Rodgers

Email: jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Web:  www.jackrodgers.com